How long does Methamphetamine remain in the system?

Posted on Wed, 12 Oct 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: Hi,
My friend ended up taking crystal meth for the first time two days ago. It was offered to him by someone without him realising that it was such a serious drug.

He does not drink alcohol or take any drugs at all. He is very fit, normal weight, no chronic illnesses, health conscious and runs 5 miles every day.

It is very unfortunate that he ended up taking this, felt ill after a few hours after he took it and is getting better slowly.

My question to you is in three sub- parts

a) How long does it take for the drug to be flushed out
b) How can this process be expedited
c) There are still some effects of the drug in terms of inability to sleep more than a few hours and loss of appetite (although it is getting better). How long will the symptoms last
d) What are the things to watch out before all the symptoms are gone.

thank you.
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Methamphetamines also called crystal meths are at rampant due to easy availability and production from easy available chemicals and highly psychostimulant and addictive and dangerous.

With 48 hours passed drug is almost out of the system with elimination half life of 11 hours so no need of any emergency medical services or visit to ER if he is alright and no active emergency like seizures, agitation or heart problem like palpitations or fast beating heart ( tachycardia).

Take him to a physician to have a full check up of all the vital organs of kidneys, heart, muscles, baseline blood parameters, liver etc. He will need a consult with addiction medicine specialist and a psychotherapist for some behavioural counselling due to highly addictive properties of the drug.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and your friend and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan