How long does Marinol take to wean off?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I was prescribed Marinal 2.5 to increase my appetite for lung cancer treatment. I had a glass of wine last evening and did not like the result I felt. How long until Marinol wears off?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Better continue marinol, stop red wine intake, leaves in a week

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

Marinol is a tetrahydrocannabinol use for chemotherapy induced nausea and vomiting and decreased appetite. usually marinol is taken 2.5 mg 12 hourly with pre meal at night but a person can increase the dose upto 20 mg in a day.

Glass of wine does not interact with marinol but may bring the adverse effects of marinol like nausea and vomiting, paranoid reaction, somnolence and abdominal pain etc.

If you feel like combination caused this you may change the intake of marinol and wine( keeping it to the minimum ). MArinol should help the chemotherapy induced GI discomforts.

Usually marinol stays in body for a few days upto a week. Its half life is 25 to 36 hours. Most of it goes in feces, some goes in urine. At average a few days tops a week and this drug is completely out of the system. Effects wear off with in 2 days.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and don't forget to close the discussion please.

Khan