• question-icon

How long does Marijuana remain in the system for a drug test?

Posted on Tue, 31 May 2016 in Mental Health
Question: Hello. I was a daily marijuana smoker for about over a year. Only a couple of hits at night to deal with terribly chronic stomach pain. (It was actually recommended to me off the record by a physician) I completely abstained for about 7 months, made several lifestyle changes and didn't have a need for it anymore. I resumed my nightly smoking for about three weeks then stopped again. It has been about 30 days since I have smoked. For about 8 months I have maintained a vegan diet, taken daily herbal supplements, antioxidants and probiotics. I only recently started exercising but I do have a relatively active job. I'd say I'm a generally healthy person, 5'3 - 119 lbs. I have been offered a great position with a wonderful organization and need to complete a pre-employment drug screening with the next 3 days. What are my chances of passing? Thank you in advance for your time.

I should include that the screening is a urinalysis. I would rather rescind my acceptance of the job than risk testing positive.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks very much for your question.

First, let me congratulate you on abstaining from marijuana. Despite its efficacy in some limited situations, overall it can have negative health consequences, and in the long run your new habits of healthy diet and exercise will serve you much better.

Marijuana is typically only detectable on urine drug screens up to 3 days after last use. It has been documented to show up in urine drug screens up to three months after last use in heavy regular smokers, but this typically only applies to people who smoke several joints a day for many weeks or months in a row. From your description, while I cannot guarantee anything, I think it would be highly unlikely for you to test positive. I would go forward with the job application and the urine drug screen.

Please remember to rate and close this answer when you are finished and satisfied.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist