How long does Losartan take to stabilize the BP?

Dr. Sagar Makode

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 2 Aug 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have had high blood pressure for a week: 170-200/80-100 to a more normal of 150/80. I started on losartan yesterday. How long does it take to start working? My b/p is still not close to a 130/80 normal. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sagar Makode 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its start it's action in 6 hrs and full effect may take a week

Detailed Answer:
Its action starts within 6 hours and full effect may take up to to a week. So if your blood pressure is in not very high as you mentioned then you should wait for atleast 2-3 days and then further modifications can be done, but if it's in the same range then we have to add another medicine straight forward. Also, losartan alone is not expected to get your blood pressure in completely normal range, you will probably need add on medicine, and 25 mg is low dose. I would have started with 50 mg with this high bp. Also, have low salt diet.
Hope this helps you and get back if you have any doubts.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad