• question-icon

How long does Keppra take to show its effect?

Posted on Fri, 10 Jul 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hi,
I am on Lexapro 5 mg, Klonopin 2 mg, Keppra 1000mg and solian (100mg, amisulpride). I was on Exitelev before (it's levetiracetam but by Sandoz, a biosimilar). It seems that there are differences between the effect of Keppra and the biosimilar, so my psychiatrist decided to give me Keppra. I've been told by Dr. Bishnoi that i'll see the benefits of Keppra between 2 and 4 weeks, I am now at the beginning of the third week and, since some two or three days, it seems that Keppra is making some important effect. I would like to know if then i can expect a full effect the next week and a sustained improvement, since for the while is still a little bit irregular (but i noticed the improvement). I am waiting especially for effect against some irritability maybe caused by dopaminergic effect of Solian at low dosage.
Thanks beforehand XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Manisha Gopal 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
wait for a week to ten days; may need to ↑ dosage

Detailed Answer:

Keppra is a better choice as it is the original research product of this company. A company which makes a new drug in its lab has a better grip on its technology. So, take keppra.
As far as time taken to show clinical effect is considered- Dr. Bishnoi is right that it may take upto four weeks. You have started getting some on and off improvement too.. but this four week duration is not a fixed time, it may wary from person to person..may take a week more also, but effect will come. Once a drug starts showing some effect, we get a hint that within some more time its effect will increase.
You can wait for a week or ten days more. If by that time there is not significant improvement in irritability you may see your doctor and discuss increasing the dosage of keppra.
- if you want you can try doing deep breathing for some time to help irritabilty...I have seen it helping my patients.

Hope the reply is useful

Wish you good health & speedy recovery.
Feel free to ask more questions for clarification.

Dr. Manisha Gopal
MD Neuropsychiatry
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Manisha Gopal

Psychiatrist