• question-icon

How long does Keppra take to show effect?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jul 2015 in Mental Health
Question: Hi,
I am on Lexapro 5 mg, Klonopin 2 mg, Keppra 1000mg and solian (100mg, amisulpride). I was on Exitelev before (it's levetiracetam but by Sandoz, a biosimilar). It seems that there are differences between the effect of Keppra and the biosimilar, so my psychiatrist decided to give me Keppra.one week ago. I've been told that i'll see the benefits of Keppra between 2 and 4 weeks, but i would like to know if i'll see some benefits since the third week (after the second week) and then more and more improvement, or an irregular one,
Thanks beforehand XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait for at least one more week and you should see improvement.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries

I can understand your concern. In most of individuals Keepers start showing its effect in about 4 weeks but in some individuals it may take longer time so no need to worry. In my opinion as this is 3rd week so you should start seeing some effects. Still at least wait for one more week and you will see improvement in your symptoms. The drug is a mood stabiliser drug also a good anti epileptic drug and helps in various anxiety conditions also. Continue to take the drugs regularly and you will feel improvement in your mental condition. If symptoms persist or less improvement occurs then ask your psychiatrist to increase the dose if needed.

Thanks, Please feel free to ask again for more doubts. Take care
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 36 minutes later
Dear Dr. Bishnoi,
Thanks a lot for your clear answer.
Once i'll see improvements, they will be regular (sustained) or with ups and downs? I am waiting especially for effects against anxiety/irritability.
Thanks beforehand, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Drug would cause stable improvement.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX thanks for asking again

Yes the drug would cause progressive stable improvement. The drug would reduce the irritability and will also supplement the actions of other drugs in controlling anxiety. The drug would not cause ups and downs.

Thanks, Take care
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist