• question-icon

How long does Keppra take to show effect?

Posted on Tue, 30 Jun 2015 in Mental Health
Question: To whom i may concern,
I am on Lexapro 5 mg, Klonopin 2 mg, Keppra and Solian (amisulpride 100mg). Before taking Keppra, i was on Exitelev, also Levetiracetam, but a biosimilar (by Sandoz). It seems that i have a very different reaction to Keppra and to Exitelev (this one seems to have different positive and negative effects), so my psychiatrist decided to go back to Keppra (i was on Keppra during three years until 2012 and on Exitelev during 2 years). The switch was made one week ago and i would like to know, as far as Keppra is again a new medicament for me and different from Exitelev, how long Keppra will take to work (the effect, not the steady state), with a full effect, since i have read that it can take some weeks.
Thanks beforehand, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Levatiracetam is considered as rapid acting

Detailed Answer:
Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic

I can understand your concern. Keppra is Levatiracetam and the drug is one of good anti epileptic and mood stabiliser drug. The drug is an approved drug for monotherapy in partial seizures. If we consider the duration of its actions then the drug is considered as rapid acting compared to other drugs. In normal circumstances the drug takes about 2-4 weeks to show its full effects. In various open label studies it has been found to be rapid acting compared to other drugs.

Thanks, Hope this helps you, if you have more doubts you can ask again.

Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Dear Dr. Bishnoi,
Thanks a lot for your clear answer. If possible, i would like to know also how long it takes to Klonopin to reach a full effect (even if during the first 48 hours it can reach steady state), since my psychiatrist decided to give me a higher dosage (from 1mg to 2mg), and i have read that i can have to wait up to 2-3 weeks for this full effect.
Thanks beforehand. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Onset of action is rapid

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX thanks for asking a follow up

Klonopin is Clonazepam and the drug is a rapid and short acting benzodiazepine drug. Peak levels of drug are reached with in 1-6 hours of dose, depending upon individuals and onset of action is rapid with relaxing effects are seen with in 20-40 minutes of dose intake. In my opinion there is no wait for 1-2 weeks to see effect of the drug. Effect is rapid and is even more rapid in mouth dissolving tablets.

Thanks. Still have doubts please ask again.
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist