How long does Herpes lesion take to heal?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 20 Apr 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi doctor,

May I asked how Long does it take for a Herpes lension to go away after a patient took the Oral anti viral medication with cream.
How to tell if a Herpes lension is in the healing process. What does it look like virtually?

I have a lension or blister on the shaft of my penis head. It does not go away even though I took my medication. At the start the lension is like a small bump and is White Color. As the days goes by it become flatten.

I noticed that when it was in contacted with water or when it is moisten it is white in Color. When it is dry it is not so visible in white .

No pain medication as observered. I have two doctor telling me two different things .
Doctor A : said I have herpes -1 (test was via blood test)
He prescribed me with anti viral drug and cream for 10days
Doctor B: said I do not have herpes. ( he did a swab test for me)

If it is herpes right. Why the spot does not disappear after I took the medication for 10days. The only diff I saw was it is not as bumpy. No pain was observered throughout.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Herpes should resolve in 10 days of taking medication,

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at Healthcaremagic
A minor outbreak of herpes usually resolves in 10 days after taking the antiviral medication.
A herpetic lesion presents as a grouped fluid filled blisters which break to form superficial painful erosions which heal in 10-12 days.
In case of healing lesion the new skin starts grow on the ulcer.
According to your complaints it doesn't seem to be herpes as herpes usually presents with painful ulcers and erosions and they are usually multiple in number instead of a single lesion and it should disappear after taking the antiviral medication.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 59 minutes later
Thanks doctor so according to expertise you also do not agree it is herpes 1 right ?

The doctor also tested if it is warts but it is not also.

Should I be worried or I shouldn’t worried anymore ?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Doesn’t look like herpes

Detailed Answer:
According to your signs and symptoms it doesn’t fit into the diagnosis of herpes.
Don’t worry about it.
Just observe it for few days and it should go away.
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 days later
Hi doctor again,

I would like to seek your advise again. I actually went back to the first doctor to let him checked again he told me that he still felt it is herpes. Now he said it is in the healing stage. Hence I noticed a scar there.

It is a small white round spot (flat) on the shaft of the penis. I am quite in a unbelievable state that I contacted herpes-1. How could it be when I did not had sexual intercourse or oral to be contacted.

Just for your references; there are no pain Nor does it burst throughout my complain.

May I asked how does a herpes scar look like to you. Is it a flatten white spot? Do you also agree it is herpes
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Doesn't feel it is herpes

Detailed Answer:
I don't think it is herpes.
Herpes at this site is usually sexually contracted although rarely contact with infected fomites used by some other person and then touching your penile area can transfer the infection.
A herpetic scar usually looks like a hypopigmented and slightly atrophic in nature.
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 17 minutes later
Thanks doctor . Doctor if let say it is a herpes scar how Long does it take to recover? What is the duration cause I want to observe from here. And also if I were to say the white spot doesn’t disappear in the future, will it cause any problem. Like health issue. Or is doesn’t really matter?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Scar usually takes 5-6 months to disappear

Detailed Answer:
A herpetic scar usually takes around 5-6 months to disappear.
In some cases it can last longer but it won't cause any problem.
It is nothing serious.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 25 hours later
Hi doctor asmeet,

Can I asked. I discovered that it might be because of the shower cream that I used that might caused this.

The one that I am using is Dettol honey shower cream. I changed to Simple moisturising Cream now. The reason for the change is because I noticed on my arms it starts to dry out and the skin was peeling .

After changes to another brand, the white spot became smaller not so noticeable.

Do you think that Dettol shower cream can caused this. Thank you for being so patient with me . I really appreciate your professional advise.
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Could be due to a reaction to dettol shower gel

Detailed Answer:
Yes it could be due to an allergic or irritant reaction to dettol shower gel.
You should avoid using it and continue with your simple moisturising cream.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T