• question-icon

How long does Heperin remain in the body?

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Blood Disorders
Question: I recently spent a week in the hospital receiving IV fluids, at the same time they were giving me shots of heparin to prevent clots while being sedentary. I now seem to be having a hard time controlling clotting such as finger sticks and a small cut on my toe. How long does Heperin remain in your system?
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia most likely

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, I have gone through your question and I understand your concerns,

Please note that the heparin's effect lasts only for a few hours. But heparin can cause a side effect called heparin-induced thrombocytopenia which means that you're most likely suffering from low platelet count which causes defective clotting.

You need to perform a CBC to check your platelet count to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope I answered your question. Feel free to ask further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 57 minutes later
I just had blood work done upon release from the hospital and my platelet count was Very healthy, 380 with the high normal being 400, so I don't think that is it. If this continues I will call the doctor but Doctors are terrible in accessible in my town.
Answered by Dr. Salah Saad Shoman 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin k difficiency

Detailed Answer:
Dear Ms, if your platlet count is within the normal range then you might need to check on your vitamin k level as vitamin k difficiency also lead to increased bleeding tendency.. I hope you find this helpful
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Salah Saad Shoman