How long does HIV survive outside the body?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi doctor
I have been to saloon shop for hair cut and shaving. There was no client in there. he finshed my hair cut and applied shaving cream and then he removed old blade and sprayed straight cut razor with water Couple of times with sprayer and he used new blade. It took nearly 15 mins for this process.While shaving i noticed four small cuts and blood like big dots and didn't bleed. I am worried as the razor was not cleaned properly and what if the razor had some hiv blood on it. Is it possible to transmit hiv this way. I have few questions.
1. How long does hiv virus survive on razor
2.did hiv virus will be inactive when he sprayed water on razor
3.did hiv virus die in shaving foam.
4.he wipes razor on paper every 5 to 10 sec while shaving.

Yours answers will be greatful and helpful..
thanks
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The risk is very unlikley.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

The survival of HIV virus outside the human body or in an open environment or in dried blood is very difficult and the virus will die within few minutes so the risk from your exposure is very unlikely or you can consider it as zero. Be relaxed, forget about it and get back to me again if any query is there.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 hours later
Thanks doctor
I am bit relaxed now. Can you please detail me on my question 2 and 3. And is it true that hiv can't pass through any superficial cuts.

thanks
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes it is right.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back and thanks for follow-up.

HIV virus will become inactive in an open field out side the human body and if virus is present then it can pass through superficial cuts also so no need to worry and move ahead in life happily with family.

Thank You
Follow up: Dr. Sunil Jangid 2 days later
Hi doctor
I have done hiv1 hiv 2 ag/ab test on 27th day and results came negative..
How accurate are 4th generation combo tests.
Can i consider this as final conclusion..

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This result is highly reliable.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome back once again.

Fourth generation HIV combo test after 27 days of exposure is considered highly reliable and accurate so don't get worried or tensed as the risk from this exposure is already very unlikely. Be relaxed, forget about the episode and move on in life happily.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana