How long does Gadolinium stay in the body after an MRI scan?

Dr. Ornela Ademovi

Posted on Fri, 20 Jul 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: A month after having an MRI contrast, I still have a gadolinium reading of 6.6 mcg in my body when it is suppose to be no more than 0.7. How do I get rid of it? I have no medical issues and have had 2 complete lab workups that says everything is fine.
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Kidney and liver function assessment

Detailed Answer:
Hello

I understand your concern. I must say this is an interesting case.

The only explanation would be a dysfunction of the liver and kidneys, but you refer that “all the lab workups turned out fine”, so I am assuming that BUN, creatinine, ALT/AST and bilirubin levels turned out fine too.

While I do not have an explanation for the delay of the elimination of gadolinium from your body, I highly recommend taking spirulina (tablet or liquid), 10 grams per day. Spirulina has been proven effective in the elimination of heavy metals from the body, and gadolinium is a heavy metal.

I hope this helps. You are welcome to ask further questions.

Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee