How long does Epilim take to show its effect?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: hi how long does it take for epilum to work. My son was on 200mg a day and now they have upped the dosage and it has been 5 days but no change.
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The perfect dose helps in preventing seizures

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Epilim is used to prevent seizures by increasing GABA (gamma amino-butyric acid) which has a calming effect and thus helps in preventing seizures. It does not treat the condition, but only helps in preventing it or suppressing it.

If at all a particular dose was not effective in controlling the condition, then your doctor decides to increase the dose until good results (a seizure-free state) is attained.

From your query, you seem to want to know how long it will take to work? The epilim begins releasing GABA almost immediately, so it starts working almost immediately ma'am.

By 'no change' do you mean that he is still experiencing seizures? Even after increasing the dose? If so, your doctor may consider increasing the dosage again or changing over to another medication; but if this is not the case, then please give epilim a chance with the current dosage to prove effective enough in preventing seizures.

I hope I have explained things in a manner best understood by you ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. It is unfortunate that such a young child has to experience this, but I am sure everything will be fine soon. Your son is in my prayers.

Best of luck and god bless.