How long does Codeine stay in body system?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Fri, 6 Nov 2015 in Mental Health
Question: 1. How long does fierociet w/ codiene take to get out of your system?

2 How does it work? be as thorough and detailed as possible.. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
About 90% elimination in 24 hours

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thanks for asking on this platform

Fioricet(acetaminophen) with codeine is used in analgesia to relieve pain.The peak effect of codeine is seen after 2-4 hours and 90% of the drug gets eliminated through the urine in 24 hours. Similarly about 80-90% of acetaminophen also gets eliminated through urine in 24 hours.
Codeine is an opioid and it works through the opioid receptors in brain to cause sedation and analgesia.Acetaminophen is a nonsteroid antiinflammatory medication and it does not causes sedation unlike codeine.

Please provide details that in which context you want to get the information, so that I better able to help you out.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 12 minutes later
another words what is the half life of the codeine, how long does it take the pain away for, it's directed 2 tabs every 4-6 hours?
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Half life about 3 hours

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up

The plasma half life of codeine is about 3 hours and 90% of oral dose is excreted in the urine within 24 hours of the dosing.With usual therapeutic dose the peak effect of analgesia(pain relief) reaches at about 2 hours and the effect persists for 4-6 hours.

Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 17 hours later
I thought oral pain medication lasted longer than intervenous? Is that true or is that false? I am directed to take two tabs of Fierociet with codeine every 2 to 4 hours as needed for pain is that too often?

I would like a detail and thorough answer please
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Details below

Detailed Answer:
Difference between oral and intravenous medication is that the time to achieve peak affect is less in intravenous medication.
In oral medication the drug has to pass through the gut and liver before reaching the blood circulation.In intravenous medication the drug reaches directly to the blood and thus the time of peak effect is earlier in comparison to oral medication.But once the drug reaches to the circulation the metabolism is same irrespective of the route of administration.
So it is not like that effect of oral medication lasts longer than intravenous.
The usual dose of codeine tablet is 1-2 tablet 2-4 hourly depending on the severity.It should be taken under physician supervision.
In case of excessive sedation the dose may need to be decreased.