How long does Cocaine stay in the system?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Drug Abuse
Question: I am crazy confused bc I have asked my question of how long will cocaine stay in your system if you're randomly tested at your pain management Doctor who sends his test to an outside lab. I get a different answer EVERY TIME I ASK!! My appointment is tomorrow morning because I only see him every 2 months. I did this over Mardi Gras (dumbest thing I've done in my life not to mention embarrassing). I'm having major major major panic attacks because my appointment is at 9am tomorrow. I know I broke my contract and frankly just fucked up! I'm human…what do I do? How long is cocaine detectable? The metabolite detectable? Why do I have different answers every time I ask the doctors on here? I know it's probably bc y'all look down on me, but I'm a very honest person. He hasn't sent me a letter of discharge. If I'm the one who broke the contract, will he just let me withdraw after I've been on morphine and lortab and klonopin dor upwards of 9 years? I'm truly having major panic attacks and my husband wants me to go to the ER. NOT HAPPENING! I'd love a straight answer and help being that this "moment of truth" is happening at 9 am. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be detected in urine test upto one week

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

Cocaine per se is detectable in urine for three days at a XXXXXXX but its metabolites can be detected upto one week or more.

For the hair test it can be detected upto three months from the last intake.

The reason for different answers probably lies with fact that although cocaine itself have very short half life (2 hours) but ts metabolites can be detected at varying length of time.

I hope this helps you.
If you have more questions feel free to write back to me.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 23 minutes later
Does my doctor HAVE to drop me? I'm clearly going to fail. This is the first and only time I've ever had this issue. I have a lot going on, which I'm sure you hear often. I found out my mother has breast cancer, she's having a double mastectomy on Wednesday, my husband of 15 years left me, anddddddd now I'm probably going to have no doctor. So do they HAVE to drop you? Or is it up to their discretion?
I did it Saturday night and was tested on Wednesday afternoon and he doesn't even bother testing in his office. Everything is sent off. You also didn't answer my question about the withdrawals. Can he drop me with no meds since clearly I'm the one who broke the contract, his trust, and last (but not least) my dignity
So I guess the best thing to do is fess up. I'm not going in there like a dumb ass and saying the test was wrong. I did the crime so undoubtably I'll pay for it as well! I just feel that him letting me go with nothing kinda breaks the oath doctors take, right? I'm not kidding when I say that I'm actually considering suicide. So should I be honest with him about that as well? Should I not go to the appointment
I feel like I'm drowning, but the 2 people I talk to (mom and husband) are no longer an option. I can't even get out of bed. All I am doing is crying. Luckily for me even though my husband is leaving me due to this coke incident he has come back to the house to take care of our 3 kids. He said if I killed myself that he'd rather them not find me. That's the support. Or a threat of going to ER like I'm not embarrassed and broken enough right now. So I'm sorry for dumping my shit on you, but I don't know what to do about the doctor appointment tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
being honest may help you

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for reverting back to me and sharing everything and considering me your companion in healing process.

I understand that there are lot of issues and poor social support but nobody will except that kind of excuses. In my view going for test and letting your doctor everything honestly may help you as he is going to find everything irrespective of your disclosure.

Regarding dropping it is on doctors discretion and they may accept apology after considering all the pros and cons of it.

I think in current situation it will be appropriate for you to seek medical help from ER for suicidal ideation.

I hope this assists you furtner.
Thanks and regards.