How long does Cocaine stay in the body?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Wed, 15 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have surgery next Tuesday, I'm have a hernia. I have used cocaine heavily but just stopped as of today. How will this effect me, will a week clean be enough to be placed under anesthesia
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I looked up what I could find on the effects of cocaine and anesthesia.

Cocaine, if used heavily, can stay in the body for up to 12 days. However, most of the acute effects on the heart (seen on an EKG) by that point are over. So if you are totally clean for a week, it should be ok to have anesthesia.

Here is a study about cocaine and general anesthesia. It won't show up as a blue link (I don't think) so you will have to copy and paste it into your address bar to read it.

https://academic.oup.com/bja/article/97/5/654/321277/General-anaesthesia-for-the-cocaine-abusing

Do try to stay away from cocaine after the surgery as well, as the effects of constricting blood vessels may cause delayed wound healing.

As you know, once you get used to using cocaine, it's hard to stay away from it. If you need help doing so, you might want to talk with your doctor ahead of time, or contact a drug treatment center for help.

I hope this information helps.