How long does BPPV last?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 12 Jun 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I experienced symptoms of BPPV a year ago - spinning sensation - which always resolved quickly. Last week, the symptoms reoccurred and I tried the Epley Maneuver. The dizziness left, but has been replaced with loss of balance. This resolves itself during the day, but is quiet severe upon waking from sleep. How long should I expect these symptoms to last and is there anything I can do to minimize the loss of balance?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue medications and maneuver

Detailed Answer:
I have gone through your question and understand your concern.
The symptoms of BPPV may take 1-2 weeks to improve with maneuver and medications.
Drugs like cinnarizine and dimenhydrinate can be used.
To minimize loss of balance gradually stand from supine position and get blood pressure measured too.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Do get back to me for further information.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Neeraj Kumar 26 minutes later
To clarify a few points related to my question: I have not used any medications for vertigo (the symptoms until yesterday were quite transitory and didn't warrant a visit to a doctor). The bouts of vertigo previously were quite minor and the spinning sensation left after a few minutes. I never experienced a sense of loss of balance.

I've only tried the maneuver once (yesterday) and the loss of balance that ensued is quite disturbing. The loss of balance resolved itself yesterday within an hour or so. But today, upon rising from bed, the feeling of imbalance particularly while walking is quite strong. Will the Epley help to restore my sense of balance?
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue Epleys maneuver

Detailed Answer:
Yes, Epleys maneuver will help.
Not always it benefits completely and thus additional medications may be required.
Visit to a physician or neurologist if symptoms persists or worsens.
Wishing you good health and early recovery.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana