How long do medication for glandular TB take to be effective?

Dr. Shashi Dangwal

Pulmonologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Hi,
i am having med for glandular tb. after 5 months of medication, my symptoms havent reduced. i have acute supraclavucular lymphadenitis.
Answered by Dr. Shashi Dangwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possibility of drug resistance needs to be entertained.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for posting your query on HCM.

i would like to know little more about your condition. What do you mean when you say that your symptoms have not reduced. Are you still running fever? Have you lost any weight? Do you generally feel unwell? Has the gland size increased? if answer to above questions is in the negative then I will suggest that do not worry and continue your treatment and gradually you will start feeling better.

But if answer to above questions is in affirmative you need to discuss your case with your treating physician because possibility of drug resistant tb or anything else has to be entertained.

Your treating physician may like to repeat the fnac/biopsy of the glands and subject the tissue to drug sensitivity test for various tb drugs.

These days in tb cases, HIV testing is mandatory and I hope it was done .

I hope this answers your query. If you have any more doubts I will be glad to answer them.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar