How long do enlarged lymph nodes last in seroconversion?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Yes .. I think I'm seroconverting
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please send more information

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your comment.
I see that you have said that your lymph nodes are swollen and that you have a low grade fever. These are non-specific signs and do not mean that you have HIV. Please tell me what risk you have for HIV and if you have had any testing done. If you send me this information I will be more able to help you.
Send also any specific questions you may have.
Dr. Robinson
Follow up: Dr. Kathy Robinson 3 minutes later
yes.. in may I had an encounter with a woman who I now know to be a drug user and the condom had broke.. I was put on triads a couple days later for 28 days then a few days after tested negative for hiv but about two weeks ago I noticed a small lump on my jawbone then about a week ago I had massive lymph node swelling that doesn't go away
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
okay thanks for that information

Detailed Answer:
Please understand that even if someone has HIV your risk of contracting it with a single encounter is still small.
You need to be tested again now. If you test negative 3 months after an encounter then you can feel safe that you are really negative.
There are many things that can cause swollen lymph nodes so if you are negative then work with your doctor to determine the cause of the swollen nodes and fever. Nodes swell when you have any sort of infection to help us fight off the infection. They are not always a sign of something bad.
Get tested again as soon as you can
Dr.Robinson
I understand that .. however. . I'm trying to understand more if this may be seroconversion. . I was on truvada and prayed it helped.. I've learned that my symptoms are also symptoms many have had while seroconversion. . I'm scared yes.. but I'm also looking to learn
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possible but still many other causes

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the follow up.
It is true that some people develop fatigue, swollen lymph nodes and fevers when they seroconvert, but not all people have these symptoms.
Seroconversion usually occurs 1-3 weeks after infection so if you were exposed in May this is not likely a seroconversion reaction.
Please get retested and then if negative consult your doctor about what is causing your symptoms.
Seroconversion symptoms are the same type symptoms you would get with the flu or mononucleosis or many other infections
Dr. Robinson
I was tested for mono just a few days ago and did not have it
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
great

Detailed Answer:
You need to get another HIV test. If your exposure was in May and you test negative now then you can stop worrying about HIV. I know this is concerning but the only way to put it to rest is to get retested.
Dr. Robinson