How long do dilation drops take to wear off?

Question
How long does it take for dilation drops to wear off? It has already been 4 hours since they were dilated. I am concerned that they will not wear off.
Posted Sun, 10 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
About 6 hours ma'am

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I would like to start by asking if you underwent an eye examination, during which the doctor administered these eye dilating drops (also called mydriatics)?

If so, this also depends on which drops were used. But the most commonly used mydriatic (i.e. tropicamide) for eye examinations has an effect that lasts upto 6 hours, and so I would request you to wait for a few more hours and I am sure the effect will slowly subside.

Other mydriatics and their duration of action are as follows:
- Cyclopentolate: About 24 hours
- Homatropine: 2-3 days
- Atropine: 1-2 weeks

But in my opinion, tropicamide is the mydriatic used and its effect shall soon start wearing off ma'am. So please do not worry. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.