How long do circumcision stitches take to get dissolved?

Dr. V. Sasanka

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi, i had my circumcision a week ago. But none of my stitches are dissolved by now. I am not able to see the stitches on the upper side of penis as there is swelling of the remaining foreskin and it seems that stitches are covered by that. when I pull back the remaining foreskin then a fluid/liquid somewhat yellow in color oozes out in small quantity every time i retract my remaining foreskin. Although no such pain is there. Please advise
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 2 hours later
Brief Answer: stitches take longer to fall away Detailed Answer: Hi We usually anticipate that the sutures will dissolve away by three weeks after the surgery. Some patients could take longer but usually we fond that if there is no pain you do not have trouble. You can have swelling for about two weeks post Circumcision and this is again normal as long as there is no fever or pain. I hope the yellow discharge us only accumulate secretions behind the swollen remnants if the prepuce and I suggest you clean it thoroughly with water after your bath twice daily. You can apply a local antiseptic cream to prevent any additional infection If things do not get better within the next three weeks you are welcome to get back to me. Regards and best wishes.