• question-icon

How long do canker sores take to heal?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I have had flu like symptoms, slight fever off and on w swolle gums , canker sores. The worst of the swollen gums is around the wisdom teeth and on on inner s o my teeth a the roof of my mouthith swollen gums for 5 days an have been unable to eat any solids. Even swallowing liquids cuases discomfort. Any suggestions?
Thanks, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Klarida Papaqako 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Canker sores need 2 weeks to heal. In general it is a virus causing them.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for using Healthcaremagic to post your health query.
I read carefully your question and I understand your concern.

The canker sores will need at least 2 weeks to go away, because they are caused by a virus which action lasts for that much.

You can use:
- a topical steroid like dexamethasone 5% oral paste 3 times daily which hastens healing and reduces pain.
- the foods that are recommended to eat are cold and high caloric like ice cream. The cold will anesthetize the sores and the calories will keep you full for some time.

If not better in another week, or if worse, feel free to follow up with me or see a local doctor.

Dr. Papaqako

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Klarida Papaqako