How long do antibiotics remain in the system?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in General Health
Question: dr XXXXXXX when I get the pill antibiotics for chlamydia, how long will it take for it to go away? and should i get retested after a few days to make sure its actually gone?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
No follow up testing is needed

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX

I just saw your question - sorry to not get back to you sooner. No follow up testing is needed unless you continue to have symptoms. (Also, if pregnant then it is advised to retest.) The cure rate for either the one dose azithromycin or 100 mg of doxycycline taken twice a day for 7 days is equal.

A person is considered cured of chlamydia 24 hrs after the last dose is taken with the 7 day doxycycline course, or 7 days after the one dose treatment. So abstain from sex during that time.

Please let me know if this is not clear. Good luck to you.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 8 minutes later
What if the dose im getting this time is the 4 tablets all at once and not the 2 a day for 7 days?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information:

Detailed Answer:
I am not sure what your doctor is prescribing for you. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) recommends either the one dose azithromycin or 7 day doxycycline. If people can't tolerate either azithromycin or doxycycline there are alternatives, but they are all for 7 days too. Sometimes we do regimens of one day if we think a patient won't be compliant with taking meds for all 7 days, but my guess from the way you have written your questions is that you are more the responsible type! If you haven't already gotten the prescription filled, I'd call your doctor back and ask for the 7 days of doxycycline. Here is the CDC's most recent guidelines on how chlamydia should be treated. Scroll down to the section on antibiotic choices:
XXXX
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 hours later
I already picked up my perscription and am going to take it tonight but if it makes mw sixk again im gona call back tomorrow and get the 7 day treatment!
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Ok - sounds like a good plan.

Detailed Answer:
That sounds reasonable.

Regarding how long until you are considered free of chlamydia and need to abstain from sex, most of the articles say 7 days. While I don't have any data on the protocol the doctor gave you to use, I would suggest following the 7 day abstinence idea.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 minutes later
Yeah I'm definitely not having aex anytime soon so no worries there
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Noted.

Detailed Answer:
Ok - good luck to you, XXXX!