How long can sperm cells remain viable in the mouth?
You have asked for specific information here. As per my awareness, there are no studies available to help us understand viabiliity of sperm within the oral environment.
But oral and salivary secretions contain enzymes that can digest sperms rendering it ineffective. The digestion process starts within minutes of contact with salivary secretions. So I would say the sperm may remain viable for only minutes.
I don't think they would remain viable overnight. They would be ineffective long before brushing.
Hope this answered your question. Let me know if you need clarifications.
Still the risks are very, very low.
The risk of pregnancy is still very, very low. For all practical purposes pregnancy chances is zero.
Sperms are made up of organic content. They react to salivary secretions as well as contents of tooth paste making them less viable. Even if they survived, they are too low to cause pregnancy.
If I have to elaborate further, only when sperm counts are in millions with active motility, they are able to swim across cervix and uterine cavity to fertilize an egg. Very meager sperms that are damaged cannot achieve this process of fertilization even if introduced directly or through unprotected sexual intercourse. You should therefore be assured that any survived sperms from the mouth and finger practically don't lead to pregnancy.
Stay assured and allay all fears of pregnancy.
Hope this helps.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Random body aches. Is this the symptoms of flu?
- What is the difference between functional dyspepsia and appendicitis?
- Having spondylisthesis, DDD, facet artropathy, bulging discs. Taking...
- Addicted to tobacco. Tried nicotex chewing gum. Unable to open mouth and...
- Is amitriptyline safe medicine for polymyalgia? What are the affect of...
- Recommended amino acids and proteins after workout. How much protein...
- Diabetic. Have hepatic encephalopathy. Treated with lactulose. Should I...
- Looking best medicine for urinary tract infection
- Had shoulder injury. Hurts to lift arm and having burning sensation on...
- Bruise appeared on thigh after scratching. Hurts to touch. Why is this...