How long can i take Xanax for anxiety?
Not sure there are serious side effects
First, there is NOT accumulation of drug nor accumulated damage to anything from taking it forever. I've had many patients taking that dose for years as a sleeping medication.
The one issue is dependence/addiction and Xanax is pretty bad for it. It is higher risk than similar drugs because it is intense and short acting. BUT because it is short acting I'm rather doubtful that the 20-30 hrs Per Week it is in your system is going to be able to trigger tolerance or withdrawal. Certainly I've never seen that happen. What IS truly common especially as a sleeping medication is psychological addiction... "well, I've always taken it for sleep; I don't think I could ever get to sleep if I didn't have it". But... not taking it every day nor consistently... it doesn't seem a very big concern in your situation. No horrible organ damage is going to pop up. Withdrawal addiction probably not possible, psychological addiction.. unlikely.
So, in answer of the main question. It's safe.
Another issue is the time course of action versus time course of need. It has about a 30 minute time of onset and lasts 4-6 hrs. For most panic attacks they end before the pill would work and couldn't be predicted when to take it. Taking an anti-depressant with anti-panic effects All the Time Preventatively (not having anxiety) or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (to deal with anxiety) are generally a better overall option.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What to do for anxiety though taking xanax
- Have extreme anxiety taking xanax had alcohol
- Xanax for anxiety attacks
- Xanax vs lexapro for anxiety
- Have anxiety and nervousness should i take xanax
- How effective is taking cymbalta for anxiety
- Need prescription for asthma inhaler taking xanax for anxiety
- How much xanax for dental anxiety
- Tranxene vs xanax anxiety
- Xanax for anxiety
- Is there any interaction between Morphine and Gabapentin?
- Can the presence of Oxycontin be detected in urine?
- Can Oxycodone be taken for wrist and back pain?
- What causes spitting of black mucus?
- How can Meth be flushed out of the system?
- Would Adderall show up in a urine test?
- What is the differece between Oxycontin and Oxycodone?
- What causes pain after knee replacement surgery?
- How long can i take Xanax for anxiety?
- Are Omega 3 supplements effective in helping muscle recovery after a...