How long can an injury stay swollen?

Dr. Deepak Sundriyal

Oncologist

Posted on Thu, 7 Jun 2018 in Cancer
Question: I recently fell in my bathroom and hurt my leg. The next day my leg was very swollen with a large swlling about5X7. I was in the hospital for five weeks. I received IV antibiotics twice a day for the whole period. Friday an interventional radiologist tried to get some of the fluid and she told me she got 180cc from the drainage. She also told me the balance of the fluid was old dark blood and my body would take care of it.Now my leg is still very swollen and my doctor won't be back for a week.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Sundriyal 58 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello. you require supportive care now

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear. I have gone through the query. So you have developed a hematoma which has caused swelling and pain. The altered blood of hematoma was aspirated by doctor and there is still some blood inside which is causing pain. if the swelling is upto 3 days old. You will require cold compressess for a couple of days and some pain killers.
The swelling wil subside in 2 weeks time. it will resolve on its own. Nothing more is required if the xray of the leg was normal.
Thanks and regards
feel free to ask further
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana