How long after taking medication can one have alcohol?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: If an alcoholic takes 650 mg one time should they be worried?
How long after taking the medication can I start drinking again?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
An alcoholic taking acetaminophen 650 mg once is not a serious problem

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. Taking 650 mg acetaminophene on a single occasion by an alcoholic will not cause any serious problems.

2. However alcoholics taking 650 mg acetaminophene regularly might damage their liver and this must be discussed with the doctor to regulate the dose of medicine. Liver function test is to be done regularly in alcoholics taking acetaminophen regularly.

3. If you take alcohol regularly and have taken the medicine cold and flu once then there is no serious problem. Please avoid avoid taking it frequently.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 24 minutes later
How soon after taking the cold meds can I have a drink?
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You should wait 4 to 6 hours before you have a drink

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. It is recommended that you wait 4 to 6 hours after taking cold medicine and before you have a drink.

Hope your query is answered.