How long after taking contraceptive pill will bleeding resume?

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: I took morning after pill during my menstruation (on my 5th day) the day after our unprotected sex and got my withdrawal bleeding after 6 day. when do i expect my next menstruation? am I pregnant if i'm delayed for 3-5 days?
Answered by Dr. Nishikant Shrotri 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No possibility of pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

In fact there was no necessity of having post coital pill on the day 5 of the cycle since on that day, egg is not present for fertilization. Egg is released 14 days prior to the next expected menses. Moreover you have consumed the pill immediately after the intercourse. So there is no possibility that you would be pregnant due to this intercourse.

Few days after consuming the post coital pill, some bleeding does happen. It usually stops within a day or so. However, the following menses are known to get delayed by few days to a week. Not an issue of concern.

For any more information or guidance, you may ask me anytime. Meanwhile you may post a good review for me with 5 star rating.

Dr. Nishikant Shrotri
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad