How long after taking Valium can I have alcohol?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am 5 feet 1 inch tall age 34 120 lbs. I have diazapam prescription 5 mg and can take 1 or 2 per day as needed. How long after taking a valium can I have an alcoholic drink, or visa versa?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Should not take alcohol when the effect of diazepam remains.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome and thanks for your query.
The adverse interaction between diazepam and alcohol is that there would be dangerous sedative effect. Diazepam and its metabolites remain in the blood for a very long time like 40 to 100 hours. So upto 100 hours after taking Diazepam, its effect can theoretically last and one has to be careful about taking alcohol. Even small drink alcohol would produce sedative effect similar to a large drink.
The half life of alcohol is shorter and is related to one's drinking habits. So you can have the regular dose of diazepam, the day after you have your drink.
Do get back to me if you have any further queries.
Dr. Noble Zachariah