How long after subdural hematoma surgery can one fly?

Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi I had removal of chronic subdural hematoma 8 weeks ago, I am back at work for 2 weeks and was given the ok to drive 2 weeks ago, I get the odd headache which is treated with paracetamol. Am I ok to fly in a few days time. I have had CT and MRI scans since the operation and everything is ok. There is a backlog with the follow outpatients appointment which wont be until November
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May take a flight only if must.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXX XXXXXXX
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist,here to answer your query.

Though 8 weeks is good enough time after a stable surgery for chronic subdural hematoma and considering the fact that your treating surgeon is already bringing you back to the activities(as driving),I see no major problem with yourself taking a flight.However,as a general rule of thumb,air travel should be delayed as far as possible after subdural hematoma surgery.
Though,there are no absolute defined recommendations,air travel usually is not allowed till 8-10 weeks post surgery to prevent complications like rebleed.

So,the bottom line,if it can be delayed by another couple of weeks,that will be desirable.

Please have a discussion with the treating surgeon,if possible.

Hope that I have answered your query.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to answer else please close the thread,rate it and write a review as your rating will be of help to me.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)