• question-icon

How long after stopping Zpac it is safe to start Biaxin XL?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: how long after stopping zpac is It safe to start biaxin xl?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Clarithromycin is safe, but, I personally don't recommend the same...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

I do understand the apprehension behind using the medicine Biaxin XL (clarithromycin). Do not worry! It is safe to use Clarithromycin after using Azithromycin.

I usually do not prescribe the Clarithromycin after Azithromycin as they both belong to the same group and it may not be of much use.

It would wiser to use either penicillin group of drugs or cephalosporins for the treatment of sinusitis as they are the first and second line of choice for treating sinusitis.

Also, I would suggest you the following:
1. Drink plenty of warm water.
2. Do steam inhalation 2-3 times a day.
3. Try using saline nasal spray for nasal de-congestion and clearing of the nasal secretions.
4. A steroid nasal spray such as fluticasone or momentasone is beneficial in relieving the nasal and sinus block.
5. Try taking a mucolytic such as bromhexine or ambroxol for thinning out the secretions in the sinuses.
6. Avoid chilled food and beverages/fizzy drinks/coffee/smoking.

Hope with the above measures you should get better. revert back to me if you have any follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist