How long after an HCG shot should pregnancy test be taken?

Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Ma'am, my wife has irregular periods and we are trying to conceive. We consulted a gynaecologist. As per her advice my wife was given tablets and three injections with effect from D-2 for full development of egg. There after confirming egg development, my wife was given a hCG 5000 IU injection on 14th March 2016. We stayed together for 5 days as advised. My wife's due date for period was 04 April 2016. She has missed the period so far. We tested using pregnancy test kit on 07 April 2016 twice (once in morning and once evening), and it showed positive both times. I learnt that, sometimes bcaz of hCG injection, the pregnancy test may show false positive results. My query is:-
1. How long after hcg injection should we test for pregnancy for reliable results?
2. In our case, is my wife likely to be pregnant?
3. What do we do next?
Kindly advice ma'am. Regards, XXXX & XXXX.
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It's a positive pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir, thanks for trusting health care magic.
My heartiest congratulations to the new mom and dad.
Yes this is positive test and is all due to pregnancy and not HCG injection.
The effect of HCG vanishes after 3 days and and thus no confusion. All you need to do now is to keep taking folic acid and progesterone as advised and visit your gynecologist regularly.
All the best
Dr Manisha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak