How long Udiliv can be used for hair loss due to jaundice?

Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My wife (age 50) is suffering with Jaundice since 10th March 2014. Her Total Billerubin was 14.07 ,SGPT&SGOT was 670 & 685 in the month of March and reduced upto 2.73 one month after with antibiotics and udilve 300. Now it is again 4.40. SGPT and SGOT is also 100 & 60 . Actually these are fluctuating . She is taking Udiliv 300 twice in a day . Her HJ was also done in 16th XXXXXXX 1996 and she was perfectly ok since than . This jaundice is 1st time after HJ . Please advise it is surgical obstructive jaundice or viral hepatitis. How long Udiliv 300 can be used as some hair loss and skin etching noticed.
Regards. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Complete Liver Function will help

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXX

Thanks for writing in

There are specific findings like itchy skin and pale stools common of obstructive jaundice

Complete liver function with raised conjugated bilirubin, raised serum albumin, raised PTT etc point to obstructive jaundice

How long has she been on Udiliv for a continuous treatment ?

Hope this helps
Do write back in case of concern
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 29 minutes later
Stool is not pale . She is on Udiliv since 25 March 2014. Alkaline Phosphate is also between 200-450
Dear Doctor,
Case history , prescriptions , compiled LFT report , ultrasound report & prescriptions has been uploaded . Can any one guide me further for way forward ? Udiliv 300 should be continued or not ?
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 23 hours later
Brief Answer:
May continue Udiliv

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I have gone through all the documents was quiet time consuming

I would suggest you get her liver function done every 4 weeks till she is on Udiliv

Though long term safety reports are not found in literature but it has been safetly given in treatment of gall stones for 6 to 10 months gaurded with liver function

I would suggest wait and conservative treatment would be a better option and if she is not experiencing new symptoms or the reports are not deteriorating wait should be the policy

I would suggest go for a MR Cholangiogram after consulting your physician, it might help come at some conclusive diagnosis

Do keep me updated about the developments and do not hesitate to write back in case you need any assistance

Wishing your wife a healthy life ahead
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 15 hours later
Dear Doctor,
Thanks a lot for giving so much time to us on this forum only . Have you reviewed the compiled LFT report ? Actually MRCP and Billary Stintography already have been done in March only ie. at the time of peak jaundice so at that time nothing could be concluded. Any way , we are waiting with medicine only as Radio logical intervention (Antigrade Percuttanious Dillation ) is the Last option.
Regards ,
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Do keep me updated

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

Actually I had asked my secretary to download and give me a printout of the reports but unfortunately this one was missed

Having gone through I am highly impressed by the systemic approach towards management

Am sure Almighty will take due care of the patient
Wishing your wife a very healthy life ahead
Do keep me updated with the developments
Follow up: Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 23 hours later
Today's LFT & Hemogram report uploaded. Pl review if time permits.
Ultrasound also done and no evidence found for biliary track dilation . pANCA report awaited . Routine appointment scheduled on Tuesday with Dr.
Regards.
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wait for the opinion of Dr Puri

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in again
Have gone through the reports, yes the Liver function is not normal

pANCA report will throw some light

Also get back to me on the opinion of Dr Puri

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju