question-icon

How lond does non-food item to pass out of the body in the stool?

Posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014
Question: If I swallowed a non-food item, how long will it take for it to pass out of the body in the stool!?
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Approximately 24 to 48 hours.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic. The length of time that a non-food item would take to pass out in your stool largely depends on your usual bowel activity as this is an indication of how fast or slow material pases through your gut.
Therefore, a reasonable estimate would be 24 to 48 hours.
I hope this is if help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,
MBChB. FRCA
Dr. Kerry Pottinger

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist