Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
192 Doctors are Online

How is vitiligo treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12744 Questions
I notice a light brown patch on my left shoulder about a month ago. I was on vacation when I notice it. I hardly expose to the sun except during when I was on vacation. I'm not sure if this is skin damage or sunburn that has not healed. I don't know how long it's been there. It's been a month and the light brown patch is still there. However, there's no changes or irritation either. What can this be? Please advised.
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

A light colored skin patch without any itching, burning or irritation is most likely to be due to decreased pigment synthesis by melanocytes in that area.

Your symptoms are most commonly seen in something called Vitiligo. However an examination by dermatologist will help in confirmation of diagnosis.

Vitiligo is pigmentary disorder in which melanocytes die as a result of multiple causes.
The condition is treatable.

Visit a dermatologist who can suggest you proper treatment.

Treatment options are Oral and topical Steroids, Immuno modulatory drugs, Phototherapy and Photochemotherapy and Surgery .

Phototherapy especially Targeted Phototherapy is extremely effective and safe.

Discuss with your doctor.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Wishing you good health

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor