How is viral meningitis transmitted?

Dr. Meera Kotecha

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 8 Aug 2014 in Infections
Question: Hello,

My sister in-law was diagnosed with viral meningitis (enteroviruses). She started with symptoms on Monday and diagnosed at the ER yesterday. I offered to watch her twin five year old girls tomorrow to help out and they are not sick. However, I have a two year (vaccinated) and it occurred to me that he may be able to get it from the twin girls. Is this something that can be passed from the the girls although they are not presenting symptoms? Is this something I should be worried about?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Meera Kotecha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry but take proper precautions

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for using Health care magic. I can understand your concerns.

In my opinion you should not worry at present. There is a possibility that the girls might have been infected by the virus but since they are not having any symptoms they may not be diseased by it.

This virus spreads through feco oral route. So you should follow the strict hygienic routines like washing the hand thoroughly several times a day, before eating, before making your child eat, before cooking. Also take care not to share the glasses and dishes and wash them properly.

Incubation period of enterovirus is 3 to 10 days so you have to be careful only for this much time.

I hope I have helped you. If you have any further query please feel to ask.
Dr. Meera Kotecha
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari