How is vasectomy performed and what are its side effects?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Hi Doctor
Pls provide me relevant information to vasectomy - procedure, side effects, timelines, approximate cost, where can i get it done (mumbai)? will i need to take time out from work?
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
All queries addressed sir

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help.

Vasectomy is a procedure in which the tubes which carry semen from the scrotum (which is where they are produced) called the vas deferens to the external environment by the process of ejaculation are cut/sutured/ligated/cauterized to avoid insemination or conception. This is one of the most effective forms of contraception and is highly recommend as the best contraceptive in XXXXXXX

There are present different approaches to performing the procedure, but this is only because anatomy can be a little different in different men. But the most common procedure includes the use of anesthesia to numb the scrotum, make two small incisions on either side in order to gain access to the vas deferens (one on each side). They are pulled out and either cut using a scalpel and the ends are cut, or sutured or electrocauterization is used.

Healing also depends on the type of procedure used, but it can be anywhere from 3 days to 10 days before you can get back to your regular schedule sir.

The approximate cost in a good hospital in XXXXXXX can be anywhere from 50000 INR to a lac, but there seem to be hospitals which can provide a more economical procedure, only research in the city will give this information.

There are many hospitals providing this procedure sir, and you can contact them for their pricing and so on. Let me list some of them out for you:
-Fortis Hospital Mulund
-Fortis XXXXXXX Hospital
-Godrej Memorial Hospitals
-Apex Hospital
-GSBS Superspeciality Trust Medical Centre
and a many others sir.

I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.