Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

How is vaginal pain during penetration prevented ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
My question is concerning my symptoms I had during sex last night which was sharp pains during penetration It hurt so much that My vagina dried up during intercourse. This caused unpleasent rubbing. Also, I had oral sex after the condom came off. My symptoms are: redness in inner labia, pain inside cervix, hives on uvula, a different and almost foul vaginal smell, running nose, shallow breaths, soreness everywhere the condom touched - throat and vagina, overall weakness, slight nausea which was constant all day, sneezing. Please help me to know what could be wrong here, and also, should I seek medical attention immediately or just soon? I am feeling very anxious about what is happening! Thank you so much
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 40 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Lack of proper lubrication or rough sexual practices during sexual intercourse, can cause most of the genital symptoms that you have mentioned. The foul smell could be due to secondary bacterial infection of the sore tissues.

Vaginal dryness, soreness, burning, vulval irritation and chafing can all respond well to local oestrogen treatments in the form of creams, vaginal tablets or pessary.

Anti inflammatory medications like Advil or Motrin, will also help in better and early healing of the sore tissues.

In addition use of water based lubricants during intercourse will prevent recurrence of such episodes in the future.

Oral sex, exposes the oral mucosa, to common bacteria in the genital region, including streptococci, which can cause oropharyngeal inflammation or pharyngitis. This would last for a short term and should clear up within a few days. If the symptoms worsen, then antibiotics might be needed.

In the mean time, using antihistamine medications like Clarytin or Benadryl might help to reduce the sneezing, runny nose, etc.

You might consult your regular doctor for a prescription of Estrace or premarin cream for your vaginal pain and soreness, as well as antibiotics for your pharyngitis.

I hope this helps. In case of any doubts, I am available for the follow ups.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is vaginal pain during penetration prevented ? 58 minutes later
Thank you for taking time to answer this question. I have numbered questions in this message. I think I may have dried up during intercourse only because it started hurting so I was not sexually aroused anymore therefore not producing the natural lubricant like normal. I can see how it would rub too hard and cause tearing and irritation. Note: we used a latex male condom.) But (1) WHY would I even have this pain to begin with? I am fairly sexually active and have never experienced this kind of pain before ever and never during intercourse. His penis was much larger than any other I have had before but It was hurting from about two minutes into the act of sexual intercourse. (2)Do you think it's possible I am experiencing an allergic reaction to the condom, even though before when I used a condom it did not hurt me? My throat and tonsils and uvula are flaring up very red and there are little bumps on the uvula. my vagina is also really red. We had sex after going out dancing, which caused a lot of sweating, so maybe that is more evidence of bacteria growth. He is a totally new partner for me, and I barely met him the day before. (3) Should I home treat this, go to the Emergency room, or just wait for the normal doctor? I feel weak, and runny nose and I feel very scared and I can't sleep because I am nervous. It is now 5 hours past my bedtime. I will try to take some ibuprofen, its the same as advil, right? Please Please help me. I am freaking out a lot. (4) DO you think any of this is related to Herpes type 2 that I have had for 5 years now? I have I am scared It may be herpes related or condom or lubricant allergies, or a whole new STD, or maybe it is what you suspect, pharyngitis. (5)How can you tell if the symptoms are from bacteria in the genital area as opposed to Herpes, or a condom allergy?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for your response,

1. The cause of the vaginal pain and discomfort - would be to the larger penis size of your partner, and due to lack of sufficient foreplay and stimulation before penetration.

2. Though most of your symptoms could be associated with condom allergy, since you have used condoms before, and have not had such issues, this might be less likely.
Vaginal latex allergy symptoms occur during or after sex while a condum has been used. But such occurances can occur with exposure to any form of rubber or during a medical examination. The symptoms include a Rash that occurs around the vagina, Swelling of the vagina (felt like the vagina feels tighter or smaller), Itching and Burning, Vaginal itch, Odor and discharge. Other Reactions that affect the whole body include : itching, hives, itchy watery eyes, asthma, stuffiness and sneezing.

3. Taking advil (which is the same as Ibuprofen) will reduce most of the signs of inflammation. Application of cold packs will also soothe the affected area. If your symptoms are very unbearable, then visiting the ER, for treatment and relieving your anxiety will be helpful. If the symptoms subside with Advil and Clarityn, then visiting your doctor might be suitable.

4 and 5. Infection or reactivation of herpes, usually takes a few days (7-14 days) of onset. It does not occur within 24 hrs of sexual intercourse. Hence your symptoms cannot be attributed to be due to herpes.

I hope this answers your questions and clears your doubts. Please feel free to contact me , if you have additional doubts or questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor