Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
189 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

How is swollen ear lobe treated ?

Answered by
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Practicing since :1991

Answered : 2589 Questions

Posted on Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I slept on my right side last night. When I awoke my earlobe was swollen and it looks like its filled with blood. There's red bruise like spots at the bottom of my earlobe. Is this a serious problem?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later
Dear Darkfox12,

Thank you for your query.

1. This is not a serious problem. However, if the swelling and bruise spreads further or if the pain increases, it will be better to have your right earlobe examined for any signs of infection. To be on the safe side, try and get someone to check the skin behind your ear.

2. If you have an ear piercing, then this swelling and bruise may be related to it. If not, other possibilities are insect bites or bruising and scraping / scratching related to accidentally sleeping on your right ear for a prolonged period at night.

3. A simple inflammation may subside on it's own, or you may apply ice and take an over the counter painkiller (after food, never on an empty stomach).

4. I am assuming that you do not have any middle ear infection. Sometimes it is just a furuncle or boil in the skin. If there are clear vesicles in the rash, you must visit an ENT Specialist to rule out Herpes Zoster.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,   ,   ,  

Recent questions on  Skin rash

doctor1 MD

i am a 48 yr old woman currently diagnosed as menopausal. I have these itchy rashes on my abodomen, back and buttocks. They itch for several days,...

doctor1 MD

I am on several medications for an ac joint injury, lately ive been getting severe dry mouth, drinking upto 6 litres a day of water and still...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I have been taking Amoxicilin for 4 days. Yesterday I developed a rash on 1 foot (top) and today I have blisters on the same rash. No rash...

doctor1 MD

I have some tube of rash round like the size of Aimee some it God away u can't Evan see it some other time it show like red hot pinky color it...

doctor1 MD

I have pain and swelling under my upper arm on both sides. I am 70 female.

doctor1 MD

Dear doctor thanks for your valuable reply however my further query is for last two weeks I have a mild rash under my eye which is persistent and...

doctor1 MD

I am getting skin rash after taking Bactrim. Hands, feet. Should I take Benadryl?