• question-icon

    How is streptococcus sanguinis treated ?

Posted on Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Question: I'm a 47 year old woman 5'0'' and 180 pounds who found a nonpainful abscess in my vagina, Upon incision and drainage a culture was taken and the results were stated as Streptococcus Sanguinis. I was put on oral Doxyciclin awaiting culture results. Will stay on that antibiotic as XXXXXXX is suceptible to it. What other health issues can be underlying this infection?
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 30 minutes later
Hi Mireinaliz,

Streptococcus Sanguinis is a normal facultative aerobe present in health humans in the oral cavity. Its the part of the Dental Plaque.

Under certain situations. it can gain entry into blood stream and lead infection elsewhere in the body. Vaginal infections are not common but do occur.

The treatment of choice for Streptococcus. sanguins is Penicillins, Aminoglycosides and Macrolides. You have mentioned that, you are allergic to penicillin.

Doxycycline can show in-vitro sensitivity. However, in clinical tissues it might not be sufficient if given alone; especially for abscesses. In this context, you should consult your physician and consider adding aminoglycosides or a newer macrolides for a duration of 5 days to the doxycycline treatment.

Most important site of infection due to Streptococcus sanguiniis is related to heart valve infection. This usually occurs in patient who have prosthetic heart valves or have deformed valves. In such patients, a prophylactic antibiotics is given before any dental/oral manipulation.

Just wonder if you had any dental treatment in recent past.
Get your self evaluated for Diabetes as such people are prone for abscesses.

Hope this answers your query.

Do get back if you need an further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Radhika
Answered by
Dr. Kiran Kumar

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2007

Answered : 362 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Heart valve infection

doctor1 MD

I have a heart murmur and have always taken amoxicillin before work was done. The dentist said it was not necessary Has there been a change?

doctor1 MD

I am trying to research a way to bring my fathers creatinin level down. He had heart valve infection which caused his already weakened kidneys to...

doctor1 MD

Is there a maintance treatment for sepsis for a few months afterwards and if so what would you use as a treatmeantment if the source is still...

doctor1 MD

I am 32 male (Gay). I am experiencing pain and burning sensation while urinating. Also note that there is semen (or like) discharge post urination...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

157 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Kiran Kumar
  • Q - Should i take immediate action for arrythmia of 10beats/min?

  • Q - Vulvar vitiligo, pruritis, UTI, flaky nails, hair thinning. AIDS symptoms ?

  • Q - Can my seven year old son take tdap vaccination after taking toxoid...

  • Q - Delayed periods, headaches, stomach cramps, swollen breasts, leg cramps....

  • Q - How is Complex Regional Pain Syndrome treated ?

  • Q - How is cervical cancer treated ?

  • Q - Swelling in lower abdomin, total hysterectomy, above scar. This is?

  • Q - What is the dosage of meprate and provera ?

  • Q - Vasectomy, testicles pain, vas deferens was hardened, pain in lower abdomen

  • Q - Is excessive sweating caused due to diabetes?