Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
155 Doctors are Online

How is snoring decreased ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
i am 25 tear old.i have heavy snooring problem. also i have chest painn since last 3 years. and i feel very tired while wake up time.
what is treatment for this?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 39 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query. A detailed examination needs to be done to check what is causing snoring in your case. Snoring can be caused by narrowing in the nose, mouth, or throat and is often associated with sleep apnea which causes fatigue and tiredness throughout the next day and the person does not wake up fresh.

We need to rule out certain conditions in your case. This includes obstruction of the nasal passages like deviation of the nasal septum, allergies, sinus infections, swelling of the turbinates, or large adenoids (tonsils in the back of the throat); any mouth breathing and enlarged tonsils and abnormally long or thick uvula.
You need to get an ENT examination done and a physical examination which includes assessment of the neck circumference (area around the neck) and visualization of the throat, nasal, and oral cavities to check for any narrowing. A sleep study or polysomnography also needs to be done to rule out any sleep apnea. This should be done by a sleep specialist.

There are some lifestyle measures which can be undertaken to help snoring:
1)     Avoid smoking or any alcohol consumption if there is any.
2)     If you are overweight, try losing some weight.
3)     Try to sleep on one side of the body because snoring is worse when lying flat on the back. this you can also achieve by placing a small ball in the back pocket of your pyjama and this prevents you from sleeping on the back.
4)     If there is any narrowing found, then dental devices and using CPAP machine (continuous positive airway pressure) may help.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor