Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

How is sjogren's syndrome treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12684 Questions
What is cause and treatment for slimy saliva in 65 year old female? I AM 5 FT 2 weight about 180 and take meds for high cholesteral and high blood pressure, all under control. I take the following meds daily 1 40mg Pravastatin, 1 50mg metoprolol, 1 12.5mg hydrochlorothiazide, and 1 325 aspirin.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing to us.

A slimy feel to the mouth is most often the result of diminished salivary flow. This condition of dry mouth may occur as a result of either primary salivary gland disease (e.g., Sjogren's syndrome), or may be it is the normal diminution of salivary flow that accompanies aging.

Other possible causes include anxiety, dehydration due to poor fluid intake, breathing through the mouth excessively, intake of alcoholic beverages, certain medications, damage to the salivary glands due to trauma, radiation therapy, etc.

Some remedies to minimize your discomfort includes-
1.Sucking on sugar-free candy or chewing sugar-free gum
2.Drinking plenty of water to help keep your mouth moist-this you are already trying.
3. Protecting your teeth by brushing with a fluoride toothpaste, using a fluoride rinse, and visiting your dentist regularly
4. Breathing through your nose, not your mouth, as much as possible
5. Using a room vaporizer to add moisture to the bedroom air
6. Using an over-the-counter artificial saliva substitute.

In addition to these, you need to find the cause after examination by your physician and get the cause treated.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor