• question-icon

How is self breast examination done?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: HIi I am a 36 year old woman with a history of health anxiety...I am being treated with cipralex and lorazapam...I was doing good until I recdently feel into a pattern of checkin gmy breasts for lumps...I have checked and squeezed them so much that I have bruised myself and now I can't tell if what I am feeling is something to worry about or not...I feel trapped in this cycle. I don't want to run to my doctor because one I am embarrased as to what I have done to myself and also I don't want to be put through a myriad of test just for reassurance becuase I know I am not supposed to seek reassurance. I know in my heart there is nothing to worry about....what would I look for when doing a self breast exam.....I feel all kinds of lumps and bumps and now that I have made myself swollen and sore I don't know what is good or bad and I feel like I am losing my mind......please help me.....thanks
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Proper examination should be done

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
While doing self breast examination, you should check for the symmetry of the breasts, any lump palpable in the breast and axilla, or any discharge from the breast.
However, if none of these is present, then there are no chances of any breast disorder.
However, if you are not convinced, then it is better to get properly examined and investigated by an oncologist.
You should continue with the medications as advised.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine