Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
194 Doctors are Online

How is seborrheic dermatitis prevented ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 336 Questions
I have been using hydrocortisone 1% cream on a patch of seborrheic dermatitis on my face for over a week. It has improved the scaling and reduced redness but hasn't cleared the problem. I feel so self-conscious and ugly with this on my face, to the point where I feel I cant leave the house. What is the next line of treatment for me? I dont like prolonged use of the hydrocortisone and to complicate matters further, I'm 14 weeks pregnant..
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 3 hours later

Seborrheic dermatitis is a common, inflammatory skin condition that causes flaky, white to yellowish scales to form on oily areas such as the scalp or as mild to marked erythema of the nasolabial fold (face). It can occur with or without reddened skin.

Treating seborrheic dermatitis is quite difficult to achieve given that there seem to be more than just one factor contributing to its development, but the condition can be held under control with few measures.

Maintaining the scalp clean is mandatory for sufferers of seborrheic dermatitis and therefore using anti-dandruff shampoos (containing salicylic acid, coal tar, zinc, resorcin, ketoconazole, or selenium) which are effective may be one way of preventing getting this condition.

Since hydrocortisone is not helping much, the other option for treatment includes Vytone cream ( which has both steroid and a antifungal components).

There are better potent steroids including mometasone furoate (Elocon) or clobetasol propionate (Temovate) or fluocinonide (Lidex) can be started for treating your condition, but since you are currently pregnant, these creams cannot be used in your case.

Other alternatives would be -

Involved areas of the face may be washed frequently with shampoos that are effective against seborrhea as detailed above. Alternatively, ketoconazole cream, 2 percent, may be applied once or twice daily to affected areas. Often, 1 percent hydrocortisone cream will be added once or twice daily to affected areas and will aid with resolution of erythema and itching.

1. Lotrimin Cream (the generic ingredient name is clotrimazole) should be applied twice a day until the rash abates plus 2 weeks. Stopping too soon will result in rapid reoccurrence.

2. Ketaconazole Cream 2 % - applied once or twice daily to affected areas

3. Sodium sulfacetamide, 10 percent lotion, is also an effective topical agent for seborrheic dermatitis of the face.

4. Replenix CF Cream - helps to reduce the inflammation, due to seborrhea.

5. Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) is a therapy, which can help to control, facial lesions that are resistant to any other treatments.

You might consult your dermatologist, who can examine the severity of your condition and help you choose the best treatment. As self treatment of facial lesions can result in complications and scarring.

I hope this helps to answer your questions.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor