Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

How is red swollen earlobe treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2565 Questions
I woke 2 days ago with a red, swollen and tender ear. The earlobe is very tender as well as all around the edge of the ear. The node just under the earlobe at the back of my jaw is also tender and swollen. I have a slight fever of 99.5
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query,

It sounds very likely to me that there is a mild infection of the earlobe going on. when this happens it causes swelling, redness and pain in the affected ear. In addition, your immune system is ramped up in the process of fighting this. When the immune system is activated it causes swelling of lymph nodes in the area - particulary areas close to an infection. There is a chain of lymph nodes just behind the ear as well as along the side of the face near the ear. The tenderness of the jaw is also related to the local activation of the immune system and the inflammation which goes along with that.

You may really benefit from a course of antibiotics to give your immune system some assistance in clearing this. I suggest you visit with your physician for a focused examination and consideration of an appropriate antibiotic for you. Finally, the fever again is part of the body's response to the infection.

I hope you have found my answer to be both informative and helpful. Should you hve additional concerns regarding this I would be happy to address them.


Dr. Galamaga
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 6 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Primary diagnosis after your description looks like Cellulitis, a kind of bacterial infection. But it can be a number of other things also.

Please answer some of my questions here.

Do you have sore throat?

What is your recent blood sugars levels?

Are there any vesicular lesion over affected skin or only erythema is present?

Is it painful on moving the earlobe?

Are you on any other medication?

I advise you to visit your nearest board qualified physician who will give you exact diagnosis and treatment.

Meanwhile you can apply mupirocin ointment which is antibiotic.

If possible you can take amoxycillin clavulanic acid capsule after consulting your physician.

You can take anti inflamatory analgesic like ibuprofen, paracetamol.

Hot sponging twice a day and Rest for a day or two is also advisable.

A picture of the affected area will be more informative too. You can mail me the photos to YYYY@YYYY with subject:ATTN Dr Sudarshan. Please do confirm the sending of the photos by writing here, so that I can reply you back at the earliest.

Wating for your reply.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor