Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
174 Doctors are Online

How is premature ejaculation treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12685 Questions
how can i treat premature ejaculation.I can do sexual contact only 2-3 mts. Then ejaculation occurs.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Premature Ejaculation
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Hello Jiss.

Thanks for your query.

Some clinicians treat a premature ejaculation if it is less than a minute, in that order you are doing well. Some clinicians treat if either of the partners are not satisfied before withdrawl.

It has been seen that premature ejaculation is more of a psychological problem rather than physical in younger men (Age 30). Anxiety is found as the cause most often.

Good couple intimacy is the necessary to reduce the problem. Partner's help, mutual masturbation, communication therapy are all found to be helpful.

Master and Johnson's technique - start and stop techniques have been suggested to all patients having premature ejaculation. Most patients have reported improvement after practicing this technique. You may also use them during sexual intercourse.

Other measures suggested are:

1. Use of desensitizing agents such as delay cream.
2. If the drug cure is needed, then Dapoxetine - a short-acting selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) is the approved drug used for this purpose. You can discuss this with a Psychiatrist or Primary physician in your area.
3. Preventive methods include performing routines such as Kegel exercises, which, as mentioned, relate to gaining voluntary control of the PC muscle. Thus giving a person more control over ejaculation.

Since it is the most common sexual problem amongst men, most primary care physicians learnt to treat them. Else you may discuss these issues with an Urologist / Psychiatrist. You may also get the aforementioned drugs prescribed by them.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is premature ejaculation treated ? 8 hours later
what are the side effects of Dapoxetine. Is it a long term treatment. Can I stop it after some courses ?

Is it safe to use delaying creams. Is there any side reacctions ?

How can I do kegal exercise effectively? Could you please explain the steps.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Dapoxetine is well tolerated with very few side effects, the most common side effects that you may experience are headache, dizziness, nausea or diarrhea.

In case you have side effects, you should know that it is not for long term so you should not be worried. Dapoxetine is absorbed in body and leaves the body quite quick.

It is not necessary to use Dapoxetine on a long term basis. Once you become accustomed and the premature ejaculation reduces you can gradually stop taking the drug.

Delaying creams are also a good and safe option. You can use them as frequently as you want to.
Regarding the steps of kegel exercises it is best to see the videos and then to learn properly how to do them. The videos are freely available in the market or you can order the CDs on the internet also.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor