Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

How is polycystic ovarian disease treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Today I got my Ultra Sound Report; which says:
-Right Ovary = 15.09 CC
-Left Ovary = 32.6 CC.
-Left Ovary Contains a clear CYST measuring 2.5*2.3 cms.
-Both Ovary contain multiple small follicles.

Few Background:
I got married in 2007; since then I am trying to conceive. I got conceived in 2009 but after 1 Months it was missed abortion. my Period is Perfectly Regular. I am suffering from Hypothyrodism.I am 26 yrs and 53 Kg weight.

My Question:
-Am I suffering from POCS?
-Can I concieve?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

The ultrasound report is suggestive of polycystic ovarian disease and that may be responsible for difficulty in conceiving. Morever hypothyroidism is also associated with difficulty in conceiving. Are you taking regular treatment for hypothyroidism and have you got your recent thyroid function tests done?

Chance of getting pregnant with polycystic ovarian syndrome using fertility treatments is very good.Regarding the treatment options for PCOS:

1)     First of all try to lose some weight as it helps to improve hormone imbalances.

2)     Then Clomiphene or Clomid can be used in the treatment of PCOS related infertility and is quite successful. Previously, the anti-diabetes medication metformin was recommended treatment for anovulation, but it appears less effective than clomiphene.

3)     One of the most effective treatments is use of contraceptive pills or progesterone pills which aids in regulating a woman’s hormones.

4)     For resistant cases, there area few options available including assisted reproductive technology procedures such as controlled ovarian hyperstimulation with follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) injections followed by in vitro fertilisation (IVF).

5)     Surgery including ovarian drilling can also be done but this is kept as last resort.

You can discuss the option of Clomiphene with your gynecologist which will help you in conceiving.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you a good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Infertility Spclst

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor