Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

How is penile prosthesis used for treatment of erectile dysfunction?

Jul 2016
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1971
Answered : 9634 Questions
Tell me about penile prosthesis. For treatment of ED.
Posted Wed, 19 Feb 2014 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Penile prosthesis are used to treat ED. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for your query,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have problem of Erectile Dysfunction and want to know about penile prosthesis. Penile prosthesis is a device surgically implanted in penis to achieve desirable erection on demand to have satisfactory sexual intercourse and generally advised when E D can not be treated with medicines or other means. There are two types of prosthesis , 1) Semi rigid prosthesis which consists of two malleable silicon rods placed in erectile chamber of penis which can be bent and made straight resembling normal erected rigid penis whenever one wants to have a sex . 2) Second one is a inflatable prosthesis and consists of two cylinders -- a reservoir and a pump -- which are placed surgically in the body. The two cylinders are inserted in the penis and connected by tubing to a separate reservoir of fluid. The reservoir is implanted under the groin muscles. A pump is also connected to the system and sits under the loose skin of the scrotal sac, between the testicles.With this prosthesis one can achieve erection by pressing the pump and filling the cylinders with fluid as on demand to have a enjoyable sex. These prosthesis are widely used in persons with ED which can not be satisfactorily treated with medications and gives good results in 90-95% of patients. Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you Thanks and Regards. Dr.Patil.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor