Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

How is paraesophagael hernia treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2000
Answered : 339 Questions
One year ago i had nissen fund surgery. I have recently had severe chest pain that actually radiates up into my face especially my left side...nose and eye. Each time that I feel as though I am going to burp the pain becomes sharper. In a recent er visit I was diagnosed with a paraesophageal hernia. I have had six abdominal surgeries in the past 5 years, all stemming from a bout with diverticulitis that abcessed. I do not have reflux any more just pressure and pain in most of my abdomen. I am a 58 yearold male.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 13 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Pain in the chest with a normal cardiac workup can be secondary to reflux disease, esophageal spasm, pneumonia, pulmonary hypertension with pulmonary thromboembolism. Post Nissens sometimes it becomes difficult to burp and may cause pain. This is becsuse of the tight wrap.

The chronic abdominal pain could be seconary to intestinal adhesions secondary to surgery or a motility disorder. Some of these can be remedied if clearly defined, hence contact a GI for a detailed work up.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is paraesophagael hernia treated ? 1 hour later
What should be done about the paraesophagael hernia?
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 13 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for your follow up query.

Para oesophageal hernia needs surgical intervention if it is causing symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor