Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

How is mild hepatomegaly treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12679 Questions
i am 27 years old, i did the blood test few days before and ultrasound, ultra sound report says i am suffering from mild hepatomegaly with fatty infiltration and mild splenomegaly and i d id hepatics B AND C TESTS ARE negative,my SGPT IS VERY HIGH 102.40,SGOT IS ALSO VERY HIGH 55.00,Bilirubin direct and idirect is very high 0.12 and 0.44,Bilrubin total is fine , i never drank alochol in my life,doctor said i am overweight,he asked me to reduce weight ,stop eating oily foods,please advise how can cure this problem,is it advanced jaundice
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Thanks for writing to us.
Let me start with some reassurance as the test reports are not so bad as you feel. The direct and indirect bilirubin levels of 0.12 and 0.44 are absolutely within the normal ranges and you are not suffering from jaundice.In adults, normal indirect serum bilirubin levels are 1 mg/dl or less, and direct serum bilirubin levels are less than 0.2 mg/dl.
It is primarily the SGPT which is raised in your case. The commonest cause of the same in your age group is due to fat deposition in the liver called a fatty liver. This can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle associated with obesity. Your ultrasound report is consistent with these blood reports.

The serum ALT (SGPT) level usually is greater than the AST( SGOT) level in non-alcoholic variant of fatty liver. XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood and there are no reasons to explain this rise. XXXXXXX most often occurs in people who are in their middle ages and are overweight/obese.

If fatty liver is found, then you need to do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily. Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver.
I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get it prescribed.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is mild hepatomegaly treated ? 1 hour later
what kind of food i need to take, i am feeling week day after day, doctor asked me to use hepexa 300 for one month and do LFT TEST after one month, when i woke up early morning, i am feeling tried and full of body pains,please suggest me,what should i do.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

Generalized body weakness is not usually because of the raised liver enzymes. Other possibilities like anemia, electrolyte imbalance and viral infection need to be ruled out with proper laboratory tests.

Foods recommended include:-
1. Plenty of juices, soups, beverages and plain water (2.5 to 5 liters desirable)
2. Low protein and low salt diet.
3. Low fiber foods such as well cooked fruits, vegetables in soft and puree form and potatoes.
4. Plain gelatin based desserts, sugars, honey and XXXXXXX

Please discuss with your treating doctor regarding the weakness and investigations of the above conditions as to rule out the cause for your weakness and the treatment would follow accordingly.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor