Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

How is mild hepatitis treated ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
My AST level is Mar 2010 was 34, in May 2011 was 59 and in XXXXXXX 2011 was 78. ALT in Mar 2010 was 31, in May 2011 was 67 and in XXXXXXX 2011 was 29. What could be causing the high AST? I drink in great moderation as I am on a weight loss and weight training regimen (since Aug 2010).
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us.

It is primarily the AST which is raised in your case. The commonest cause of the same in your age group is due to fat deposition in the liver called a fatty liver. This can happen both due to the consumption of alcohol as well as sedentary lifestyle. My first suggestion is to get an ultrasound of the upper abdomen done to rule out fatty liver.

The serum ALT (SGPT) level usually is greater than the AST level in non-alcoholic variant of fatty liver. XXXXXXX (non alcoholic steatohepatitis/ fatty liver) is basically excess fat deposition in the liver along with inflammation. It is usually suspected when the liver enzymes, ALT & AST are raised in the blood and there are no reasons to explain this rise. XXXXXXX most often occurs in people who are in their middle ages and are overweight/obese.

If fatty liver is found, then you need to restrict your alcohol intake (if you are taking any) and do some regular exercise like brisk walking for 45 min-1 hour daily. Ursodeoxychiloic acid (UDCA) is supposed to help in reducing the fatty liver.

I suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and get it prescribed

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: How is mild hepatitis treated ? 2 hours later
I am 5, female, 5'5", 130 lbs. I work with personal trainer 2x weekly, I play golf twice a week, I bike daily, and I do cario exercise every day. All food and drink consumed is recorded at WWW.WWWW.WW on a daily basis as part of my strength regimen. For example, in the past 7 days, I have had 5 oz. red wine (Saturday) and 12 oz. light beer (Wednesday). This has been my pattern of alcohol consumption with very little variance for many years. I had an abdominal MRI in May 2011 - specifically liver and pancreas - as part of testing to rule out hemochromatosis, since I have the mutated genes which indicate a predisposition to hemochromatosis. At that time, my hemotologist said my liver, pancreas and heart (also had echocardiogram) looked PERFECT. Would fatty liver show up in am MRI? How could my organs looks so healthy if I had fatty liver???? My PCP said this could be hepatitis. What type of test would be done to confirm or rule out hepatitis?
Follow-up: How is mild hepatitis treated ? 2 minutes later
* I am 59 yrs. old (not 5!). I do CARDIO exercise, not cario!
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later

Thanks for writing again.

If your MRI says that your liver looks healthy then actually this can be due to a mild form of hepatitis. Chronic alcohol consumption even if mild can also cause such a subtle rise in enzyme levels. Yes MRI can be sensitive test towards fatty liver. Other organs can be normal during fatty liver change. You should realize the fact that fatty liver is reversible. Restrict alcohol intake. Make sure you get proper prescription from doctors to protect liver from drug induced damage. Continue cardio training.

Hepatitis can be confirmed by Liver biopsy alone. I do not think you need it is needed in mild form of Hepatitis.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor